The Little Free Library This Week.

2013
11.11

Unlike the main public library and its many branches, the Little Free Library is open every day of the week, 365 days a year. It’s open all day long. It’s even open at night, but you’ll have to bring your own flashlight.

This week at the Gilliat Street Little Free Library, you’ll find all sorts of treasures for readers of all ages. The inventory changes every day, depending on who’s taken what and who’s left what behind, but some of this week’s offerings include:

• Annie Leibovitz photos of Olympic athletes
• Two novels by Larry Watson
• The Philosophy of Kant
• Crime novels by Timothy Halliman
• Gabriel Garcia Marquez’s Love in the Time of Cholera
• A cookbook or two, though those never last long, so hurry
• A few magazines, including “The Sun,” with the world’s best fiction
• Books for little kids and a teenagers

You’ll also find a supply of creative black & white street scenes by local artist Byron Johnson (find him at www.layingfallow.com) and a few DVDs and VHS movies.

The library’s always open. It’s great entertainment, and it’s absolutely free. You don’t need a card, there are no fines, and you don’t even have to return the book if you don’t feel like it.

Come on down!

10 Responses to “The Little Free Library This Week.”

1. Dave Kirwan says:

Great to see the turn over of volumes! So. Will we have to take a new season-appropriate picture of the Little Library in a couple of weeks (snow on ground and library roof, icicles, frosted glass, etc)?

2. Rick says:

I just checked out the Duluth LFL site (http://www.perfectduluthday.com/2013/10/16/duluth-little-free-libraries-guide-2013/)
    and I HAVE to say . . . yours is the nicest!

3. PJ says:

Dave, I thought of that, too. A snowy Little Free Library picture! Any day now.

4. PJ says:

Thanks, Rick! I owe it all to Rob Morse, who did such a fabulous job on this thing. I really do think it’s the best one I’ve seen so far. Great stuff in there, too. I can’t resist them when I see them around town.

5. Cathy says:

I must say I agree with Rick.

6. Chris says:

My brother Joe from Colorado came up for the holidays and left me a gift!!! I am in the possession of a Little Library!!! If I knew how to send the pictures that came in a text to my picture gallery to an email, I could send it to you! All I know is it has to have lots of paint applied (Kilz, he said) and then and only then can it be mounted outside my house – and after the last of this %$#%($ snow is gone. Did I mention I have to paint it? I will leave the last PRETTY colors for my daughter to dream up and hopefully apply. Thank You, Patt, for the great idea!

7. Patt says:

Chris, that is wonderful news. More wonderful if he had painted it, but a gal can’t have everything! (I hate painting. I know what Kilz is, but I hate painting stuff. I’m not good at it.) My good friend Rick sent me a huge box of books and movies for the Little Free Library here, though I haven’t used many yet. The LFL magically sustains itself. New books appear almost daily, even in this bitter cold. It is a good time to curl up with a good book, isn’t it? I hope all the snow melts soon and you can get your library started. I’ll be sure to tell my niece, who lives down the street from you!
    Patt

8. Chris says:

I never understood why wood isn’t painted before its cut and nailed together. I am NOT a fan of painting. This same brother made me a leaf for my dining room table 2-1/2 years ago and I have yet to stain and polyurethane it…

9. Patt says:

Chris, for the past 25 years I’ve been meaning to replace the shag carpeting in the upstairs bedroom. It’s a good thing we don’t live together.

10. Chris says:

Hire it out is my motto!

Your Reply